Monday, March 15, 2010

The Style Divide: The Chandelier Debate

So, I tend to like style that people would walk into and use adjectives like "graceful," "classic," "elegant," "old-fashioned" and "beautiful." I don't want a house that is so formal and elegant that it feels intimidating, uncomfortable or "too big for its britches." But, I do like elegant touches that make a house feel like it's a bit grand. So, I really liked the 12" high ceilings in the houses that we looked at today. I'd love to couple that ceiling height with some pretty crown moulding, at least in my dining room (which is where feel most free to express my desire to be formal and fancy.) I'd like to have a smooth, curving staircase with that ends in a swirly snail shell shape (you know what I mean?) Here's the problem: my husband thinks that stuff is going to make our house seem too formal. When I mentioned my desire to have crystal light fixures, he balked. Okay, maybe I used the word "chandeliers" which I, later, retracted. I don't really like chandeliers, per se. It's more small to medium sized light fixtures that have pretty crystals hanging from them. Like these (which are actually sconces, but imagine them in 360 degrees):
They are pretty little details. They refract the light in beautiful ways. And, in a small size (like the size of a normal light fixture), aren't too formal or intimdating. They do seem old fashioned to me, especially if you could find antique or vintage ones to reclaim (a hint to our potential builders!) The Schulz's house (the KSU Presidential home, on campus) is a really good example of this. They have at least two crystal light fixtures, but I think their home feels warm, nostalgic, and comfortable. Noel Schulz said that I can come by and take photos sometime. That may be what it takes to convince Mike to see my point-of-view. I'm not giving up on elegance! And, I think we can find a way to incorporate those elegant touches without making Mike feel like the house is too fancy for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment