Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Favorite House in the Little Apple

This is my favorite house in Manhattan. It's just north of the intersection of Juliette and Poyntz. I love the symmetry and balance of this house. I love the double layer porch with its the simple, substantial columns. I love how how the porches are topped by those slight arches (more rounded corners than true arches.) I also like the solid, weighted look of using limestone on the bottom of the porch. If you could look more closely, you would see that the front windows are decorative glass (not stained, but cut and leaded in a simple design.) It looks like a home that was lovingly built for a large family. It's beautiful, but simple. It has style without being fussy. It seems warm and welcoming, to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment