Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What's My Style?

When I try to describe the style of house that I'd like to have, I use words like "historic," "cottagey," "farmhouse," and "Craftsman." The truth is, I know what kinds of houses I like when I see them, but I'm not exactly sure where my style fits in terms of architectural lingo. So, I set out to help myself define that. HGTV has some information on architectural styles that I found helpful. I'll go through each (of the styles that are remotely related to what I like) to describe what I do and don't like about it.
Craftsman Homes
Key Elements of Craftsman Homes
Built of natural materials. I actually don't want a house that is too woodsy looking. I don't want to use unpainted woods or stone. I prefer siding or painted brick.
Built-in furniture and light fixtures. LOVE built-ins.
Fireplace. A wood burning stove and a warm, inviting hearth area are things I like.
Porches. LOVE porches. I really like the porches to have solid columns, that are wider at the bottom than at the top. I think this is why I've always said that I like Craftsman homes.
Low-pitched roofs. I do really like the overhangs and wide eaves of Craftsman style.
Exposed beams. I like seeing the beams supporting the eaves, but don't want to see them inside the house.
Open floor plan. Actually, I don't like an open floor plan. I really like a formal, symmetrical floor plan. But, Mike loves openness. We hope to deal with this by having wide doorways between public rooms with pocket doors that can be opened fully for a more open look and closed for more formality.

Summary: I love the simple exterior elements of Craftsman, especially the porches framed by columns that are square and thicker at the bottom. I love the wide overhangs, both aesthetically and practically (for heating and cooling.) I don't want a house that looks too woodsy or "natural." Or a really open floor plan.

Victorian

Key Elements of Victorian Homes:
Two to three stories.
I like 2-3 story homes. That's something that differs from the Craftsman style, which tend to be 1 1/2 stories.
Complicated, asymmetrical shape. Nope. I prefer a more symmetrical shape. Prefer simplicity, without plainness.
Decorative trim. Nope. Nothing decorative in a cutesy way.
One-story porch. I love porches, one or two story.
Towers. Towers seem a bit costumey to me. Overall, the Victorian style is a bit too ornate, too much like it's pretending to be a little gingerbread castle.
Vibrant colors. I like rich colors in interiors (offset by white moulding) but I don't like a vibrant colored exterior.
Summary: I like the height and formality of Victorian homes. But, overall, too fussy for me.
Colonial

Key Elements of Colonial Style: "These homes are often marked by a centrally located front door, evenly spaced double-hung windows and simple side-gabled roof. " I really like a central front door, but would prefer one that stood out from the exterior, containing a foyer with windows. I like the simple roofline on Colonial homes.

Square, symmetrical shape. I really like the formality and symmetry of Colonial homes.
Flattened columns on each side of door. Don't like this. In fact, I don't like any columns that are "wannabe" Greek looking. Much prefer the more substantial and humble columns on Craftsman homes.
Shutters. I like the look of shutters. I wonder sometimes if they are "real" or just for show. I'm the kind of person who is practical enough to want the shutters to have some kind of use.

No comments:

Post a Comment