Friday, May 27, 2011

Found a House to Remodel

Although it was our hope to find a lot in the downtown area to build on, we managed to find a property to renovate instead. This meets Mike's needs to have a nice, landscaped yard with mature trees. The yard, over an acre in size, is spectacular! The house will need some renovations to work best for our family. But, we're really excited about it!
Front of house.  I'm not a fan of the appearance of the front of the house.  I don't like how the upper floor hangs over the lower floor.  I'm also not a big fan of the appearance of the top windows.  I'd like to redo the front facade, giving it a more Craftsman look.  I'd like to have a nice front porch, perhaps a double porch with access from the front two bedrooms onto a porch.  The front of the house faces east. 
This is the south side of the house.  I'd like to add a sunroom to the main floor.  On the top floor, I'd like to add on to the bedrooms, adding a master bath.  There is only one "full" bath in the house.  Which, is tiny and lacks a shower (just a tub with a shower wand.)
This is the back of the house (faces west).  Normally, I'd skip a house with a west facing back yard, but it is so wooded that we have plenty of shade, I think.  To the left (north) in this picture is an addition that was built around 1960.  We are thinking of putting the kitchen in this addition, as the current kitchen is TINY.
This is the view from the north.  The 1960 addition has a basement area that is a currently a work/crafts room.  I'd like to make it a mudroom and have stairs added up to what will be the kitchen.
View from the backyard.  Lovely landscaping!
The back patio, newly redone last year.
From the corner of the yard.  1.2 acres, in town!  Wow!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet! Looks great. Congrats on your wonderful find. Can't wait to see what nice changes you'll make.

    ReplyDelete